Monday, October 25, 2010

Down the BirthWorks Path...

By now, everyone has heard all about the BirthWorks Childbirth Educator workshop that I attended in Syracuse October 8-10th. Last week, I paid for my Childbirth Education Certification packet. Today it arrived, along with my copy of Birth Reborn by Dr. Michel Odent.


So far, I'm happy with choosing the BirthWorks organization as a path to becoming a Childbirth Educator. I'm looking at their "Statement of Beliefs" that I need to sign and send back to the BirthWorks International office and I can't find anything that I disagree with.

The BirthWorks beliefs are as follows:

1. The knowledege about how to give birth already exists inside every woman. Women's bodies are designed to give birth.
2. The nutrition of a pregnant woman has a great impact on the health of her baby from its life as a fetus through adulthood and that breast milk provides the optimum nutrition for the newborn baby.
3. A woman will labor best wherever she feels the safest and most secure. For some that may be a hospital. For others it may mean at home or in an alternative birthing center.
4. Birth is one of the greatest challenges life has to offer and provides an opportunity for personal growth.
5. While a cesarean section may be necessary at times, the current rate is too high.
6. In most cases, VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) is a safer alternative to routine repeat cesarean.
8. A woman in labor deserves an environment in which her privacy, autonomy, and emotional security is protected, and her mobility is encouraged.
9. Expectant parents should have access to infomation they need about obstetrical procedures. They should participate in decisions regarding the judicious use of obstetrical medications and procedures.
10. A woman's beliefs influence her birth. Exploring beliefs heightens self-awareness, serving as a catalyst for positive change.
11. The emotions of a birthing woman have profound effects on the birth outcome. Women must be allowed to express all their birth-related feelings.
12. The practice of Human Values builds character and instills confidence in birth and life.
13. Love is the foundation upon which positive birthing begins, and that one must have love of oneself before being able to love others.

Tomorrow, I'll be mailing my signed copy off to the BirthWorks office, completing Step One in the ten tep childbirth education certification process. As I go through the process, I'll continue to post updates. My goal throughout is not just to become certified as a childbirth educator, but also to use what I'm learning to serve my doula clients here in Syracuse.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! So glad we will have more mama's like you teaching other to-be-mama's about peaceful, loving birthing practices.
    Hope to see you soon,
    Danan

    ReplyDelete