Saturday, October 16, 2010

Homeschooling Myself

I've posted about my reading (and book buying) hobby before. Today, I'm going to talk about homeschooling.

This is the sixth year that I've homeschooled my children, who are now aged 10, 7, 5 and 3. Additionally, this fall, I've started keeping a Learning Log for myself in relation to my doula/CBE/midiwfery studies. The official name right now is the "Fall 2010 Reading Log." Originally, I was just going to keep track of what I read, but I'm also logging workshops/classes I attend and relevant DVDs I watch.

For the week of October 11-17th, I:

- Attended the BirthWorks Childbirth Educator training workshop. This was a wonderful experience, spending the weekend talking about BirthWorks philosophy and childbirth education

- Read all of Active Birth by Janet Balaskas (which I think is a valuable read for expectant parents and birth professionals alike)

- Watched "Special Women" DVD

- Read ch. 1 & 2 of Nurturing the Family: A Guide for Postpartum Doulas

What I really like about my "Learning Log" is that I can go back at the end of the week, month, season or year and see how much I've taken in. Looking back at the entries in September when I was reading Diary of a Midwife and Children at Birth brings back what I got out of those books. It's a reminder of what I've gotten out of each reading session.

I'm enjoying homeschooling myself almost as much as I enjoy homeschooling my kids. Hopefully, all the time I put in now will be an asset to me when I am finally at the point in life when midwifery school is something I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Go Liz!
    If are are doing what you love, Liz, everything is worth while. Whether you find it helpful in midwifery school or in life, you'll be able to put that info to great use. And I know you are doing what you love!
    -Alana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job homeschooling yourself and keeping a learning log. My first 5 were born at home with wonderful midwives in attendance. :)
    Lee (5wolfcubs)

    ReplyDelete