Eleven months after I bought my DONA Birth Doula Certification packet, my DONA certification is done. I'm now a DONA-certified Birth Doula.
In case you were wondering, to become a DONA Doula, I had to:
- Pay for DONA membership
- Pay the certification application processing fee
- Fill out the application
- Read The Birth Doula's Contribution to Modern Maternity Care; The Doula Book; The Birth Partner; Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn; Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers
- Attend a childbirth class (where I wasn't a pregnant participant)
- Complete the course at http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/
- Attend a DONA birth doula workshop
- Attend three births and submit three evaluations from mothers, three from caregivers, an essay about each one, DONA Birth Record sheets for each one
- A resource list with resources from 30 different categories
- Write an essay on the value of labor support
- Sign Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
- Take multiple choice quiz
My next project (that I've already started working on) is the BirthWorks Childbirth Educator certification.