Sunday, January 9, 2011

Getting Through Labor: Warmth

Another great thing to utilize for getting through labor is warmth. One thing I carry with my in my doula bag is rice socks that can be heated in the microwave. These are great for moms who are having back pain.

Some people make these themselves. If you are using a doula for your birth, you can ask if she has rice socks or heat pads that she brings along with her.

You can order the ones in the picture from http://www.yourdoulabag.com/

Here are super easy directions for making your own rice sock: http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/laborbasics/ht/ricesock.htm

Warm water is another great way to use warmth for pain relief during labor. With my second and third births, I spent time in the tub at the birth center. When I had Delilah, I got in the tub just planning to use it for labor pain relief and ended up deciding not to get out, so she was born in the tub (James was a waterbirth as well). During transition in my labor with Ben, I spent time in a hot shower. At that point, I didn't want to sit in the tub, but standing in the shower felt great.

The following video talks about using both water and temperature changes for relief in labor. The one thing that I don't agree with is when she says that if your water has broken, you should use a shower instead of the tub. A common misconception is that being in the tub when your water has broken increases the risk of infection. There is no evidence that this is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment